[OpenAFS-devel] Installing AFS on RHEL 3

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:18:21 -0600

Srikanth Bhaskar <srikanth.bhaskar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for so much of SPAM. I am trying to configure AFS on Linux RHEL
> 3.

Client or server?

> I downloaded the
> RPMS/i386/openafs-1.4.2-rhel3.1.i386.rpm<http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.4.2/rhel3/RPMS/i386/openafs-1.4.2-rhel3.1.i386.rpm>(3MB)
> and installed. I observe that the binaries are added to the /usr/bin.
> However, I am unable to proceed with the configuration as in the
> documentation on the openafs web.
>
> I observe a /cdrom/.... structure refering to the kernel to be copied
> and initialised so that AFS is loaded by insmod during startup.
> However, I m unable to find any zip files which have the above. I
> guess I am missing some fundamentals here.

Just ignore the /cdrom/ part as I believe that the rpms have already
copied the files into the correct locations for RedHat.  Note also that
the paths specified in the web documentation are for
the --enable-transarc-paths configure option and you'll likely need to
look around and see where things have been moved.

Are there any docs included with the RPMs?  I'd say to read those.
Unfortunately I've never used the RPMs myself.

You probably just need to setup a ThisCell file, check that your cell is
in the CellServDB file, configure the client cache and start the client.
Server setup is more involved of course.

<<CDC