[OpenAFS-devel] Cache Volumes

Andrew Radamis rust710@gmail.com
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:00:05 -0400

------=_Part_3803_23654534.1180969205100

I'm going to start out by saying that I know how to setup and manage an
openafs cell, following the documentation on the openafs.org site. I have
very limited knowledge of the inner workings of afs, I have a conceptual
picture at best.

I've been toying with an idea and my question is about feasibility of doing
it.

To make it a little easier to explain, and to head off the possibility of a
what would you ever use that for I'm going to explain it with a scenario.

In this scenario we have two site, cleverly named site A and B. At each site
has an AFS server and a some client computers running afs. Both sites are in
the same cell and connected by a slow link(VPN or what-not). There are 2
types of users, users who are always at there home site, and users who may
roam. Users may or may not use the same computer at each site. The first
type of users are obviously not the problem.

Which brings me to my question. A cache volume is my idea of a solution. It
would be similar to a replication site with the exception of users being
able to write to it. I understand why users can't write to normal
replication sites so I'd assume the cache volume would need the additional
stipulation of it can only be used when the real volume exists and is
online. Files will need to copied to the remote server, this can I suppose
be done through making the client wait till done, or letting the cache
volume accept it and background send it. Second one would be preferred of
course, but does have the problem of it the user beats the upload to the
other office.

I'm under no illusion of this being simple, but I am interested in
possibility of this. I estimate that the company I work for might have a
need for this in 3-5 years.

Thanks,

Andrew

------=_Part_3803_23654534.1180969205100

I&#39;m going to start out by saying that I know how to setup and manage an openafs cell, following the documentation on the <a href="http://openafs.org">openafs.org</a> site. I have very limited knowledge of the inner workings of afs, I have a conceptual picture at best.

------=_Part_3803_23654534.1180969205100--