[OpenAFS-devel] Re: defaults for 1.4.5: afsdb and dynroot?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:25:03 -0700

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
> The Windows AFS client service defaults to off.
> The Windows AFS installer defaults to on.
> This is how it should be configured for other platforms as well.

I'm not as familiar with the Windows client as with the other
platforms, but do you mean that "if unspecified, the client will not
use afsdb; however, the installer will specify afsdb unless told
otherwise by the user during installation"?  That would make sense.

> (1) Administrators who install a restricted CellServDB file to limit the
> accessible cells will no longer find their client's restricted to the
> specified list

Ok, good point.

> (2) Users will experience delays where there weren't any before when
> accessing /afs/foobar where foobar is not a cell listed in either
> CellServDB or DNS.

True, but probably an extremely infrequent event.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380