[OpenAFS-devel] Re: defaults for 1.4.5: afsdb and dynroot?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Adam Megacz wrote:

> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
>> The Windows AFS client service defaults to off.
>> The Windows AFS installer defaults to on.
>> This is how it should be configured for other platforms as well.
>
> I'm not as familiar with the Windows client as with the other
> platforms, but do you mean that "if unspecified, the client will not
> use afsdb; however, the installer will specify afsdb unless told
> otherwise by the user during installation"?  That would make sense.
>
>> (1) Administrators who install a restricted CellServDB file to limit the
>> accessible cells will no longer find their client's restricted to the
>> specified list
>
> Ok, good point.

Note that the smart thing for said admins to do is use a transform or a
customized installer, but we have no transform tool for MacOS (yet. I have
plans...)

>> (2) Users will experience delays where there weren't any before when
>> accessing /afs/foobar where foobar is not a cell listed in either
>> CellServDB or DNS.
>
> True, but probably an extremely infrequent event.

Depends if you have an dumb scripts.