[OpenAFS-devel] status of src/tests

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:07:18 -0400

On Monday, June 25, 2007 08:48:03 PM -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
>> Oh, dear.  There's a copy of dumptool in there?  That's probably as
>> out-of-date as the copy of my volume dump utilities, the latest version
>> of  which can be found in /afs/grand.central.org/software/dumpscan.
>
> I don't think Ken did any work to dumptool since then.
>
>> I don't think either of those tools, or various others, really belong in
>> the  OpenAFS distribution.  OpenAFS should concentrate on being a
>> filesystem, not  on incorporating into its distribution every tool
>> someone might want to use  with it.
>
> Because dumps are portable. Oh wait. They're not. OpenAFS implements them.
> You're diluting your point by making it on this particular topic.

A variety of things implement them, and not all of those things are
OpenAFS.  They are part of the AFSVol RPC interface, which is not private
to OpenAFS.  If you want to repeat the argument about whether you should be
gatekeeping OpenAFS or filling the kitchen sink, I suggest we do so offline.

-- Jeff