openafs-utils (was: [OpenAFS-devel] status of src/tests)

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 18:18:04 -0500

Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@mikefedyk.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>> I don't think either of those tools, or various others, really
>> belong in the OpenAFS distribution.  OpenAFS should concentrate on
>> being a filesystem, not on incorporating into its distribution every
>> tool someone might want to use with it.
>
> Then where should the afs-utils package be kept?

Hopefully in some "openafs-contrib" folder in some location in AFS.  I'd
offer space in one of my cells, but current network policies prevent me
from doing that.

> Having the tools
> kept in one place under source control with a bug tracker can only be
> good.

Actually, no, its not.  People will expect support from OpenAFS for it
if they such things are included with the normal openafs source
distribution.  This could potentially be bad for the OpenAFS project
itself as well as companies that offer OpenAFS support.  I certainly
wouldn't want to have some random utility thrown into source control and
then a client saying "its in openafs, we need it working in our
environment."

<<CDC