[OpenAFS-devel] Speed too low in openafs system

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:38:32 -0500

Chechu <chechuironman@hotmail.com> writes:

> hi,
>
> I have problem with the speed of transfer in openafs... The system is:
>
> a server with 4 procesor wich have HD's with 6TB ...and 20 nodes
> conected to the the server.
>
> In the server is installed openafs-db openafs-server and
> openafs-client...and in the nodes is installed openafs-client...
>
> The HD's are SCSI of 32 bits...
>
> The problem is when I try to copy files from or to openafs the speed is
> very slow...for 4,5Gb it takes 28 min in writing and 29 in reading...I
> have a cache partition of 1gb in each node. The problem occurs in all
> nodes and server...and the system when it's copying seems to be very
> charged...
>

> Someone knows what is wrong?

Well, you're thrashing your cache for one thing, so you're not
getting any positive effects of caching your data.  I'd recommend
increasing your cache size for one.

Two, you might need to tune your network parameters.

Three, RX/udp does have some apparent limitations in throughput.
I dont know if anyone was really researched the causes.

> Thanks

-derek