[OpenAFS-devel] Brief proposal on numbers

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:00:10 -0500

On Friday, November 02, 2007 01:43:39 PM -0400 Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>
wrote:

> John Hascall wrote:
>
>   I don't suppose it can be changed, but the whole idea
>   of measuring and doling out volume-quota using 1KB units
>   seems pretty silly these days.
>
> After more thought, I now think we should be consistent with "df."

Except I think you are advocating being consistent with some specific
operating system's 'df', and I don't think you'd be happy if I told you
that being consistent with 'df required setting quotas in 512b units.

So no, I don't think as a cross-platform distributed system that we are
obligated to be compatible with the native commands of some particular
platform.

-- Jeff