[OpenAFS-devel] getcwd() on Linux 2.6.18+OpenAFS 1.4.2 bugs/errors.

Michael Loftis mloftis@wgops.com
Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:56:54 -0700

--On November 9, 2007 9:04:34 AM -0500 "Todd M. Lewis"
<utoddl@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> I think this problem is also directly related to the weird behavior
> described here:
>
>   https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2002-August/005460.html

I don't know but it sure looks similar.  Sounds like everything BUT Linux
does it how one expects.  In Linux chdir() into a symlink, then chdir(..)
can cause "oddness", like ending up in a different parent than you thought
because the symlink moved you somewhere else in the tree, but will never
break you out of a chroot(), and will never cause chroot-ed environments to
return paths outside of their chroot, nor would following a symlink ever
allow you to get out of a chroot.

I'm struggling to get my head entirely around the problem because it really
sounds like Linux is the only thing getting it wrong.