[OpenAFS-devel] getcwd() on Linux 2.6.18+OpenAFS 1.4.2 bugs/errors.

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:34:26 -0500

Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:

  Making openafs conform completely to linux's "directories may not have
  aliases" rule (which is effectively the problem here) will require that we
  make each volume a linux mounted filesystem...

We went down that rat hole in NFSv4 and it wasn't pretty.  I would much
rather enforce the rule that there can't be any cycles in the namespace.
But that would be very hard to do, both technically and politically.

For now, if you do create multiple paths to the same volume, you get what
you deserve (in my opinion).