[OpenAFS-devel] modpost: GPL-incompatible module %s%s "

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 03 Feb 2008 23:47:42 -0500

--On Monday, January 21, 2008 09:28:14 PM -0800 sneha.kundarapu@gmail.com
wrote:

> Hi all,
> At the time of post processing the module, Iam recieving the following
> error.
>
> Generating dsplinkk.o...
> Post processing kernel module dsplinkk...
> FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module dsplinkk.ko uses GPL-only symbol
> 'sys_open' gmake[2]: *** [dsplinkk.o.deb] Error 1
> gmake[1]: *** [trgdeb] Error 2
> gmake: *** [pmgr.trgdeb] Error 2

It seems to me you are trying to build a module called "dsplinkk.ko" which
is not GPL'd (or does not have a correct MODULE_LICENSE declaration) but is
trying to use the GPL-only symbol sys_open.  If you were building OpenAFS,
I might ask you what version of OpenAFS you're building, and what version
of Linux, and then I might provide some suggestions for how to work around
the problem.  But as it appears you are not building OpenAFS, that would be
fruitless.

This is the openafs-devel mailing list.  It is for people who are hacking
on the OpenAFS code.  Questions about building and using OpenAFS from
people who are _not_ hacking on the code belong on openafs-info.  Questions
about software that is not OpenAFS belong on some other mailing list
entirely.  If I recognized the thing you were trying to build, I might
suggest some particular list on which you could ask your question, but I
don't, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that.