[OpenAFS-devel] pinstall breaks fakeroot when compiling openafs for Nokia tablets

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:24:17 -0400

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying get openafs to build for the latest OS update, diablo, on the
>> Nokia tablets. I'm getting the error "libfakeroot: FAKEROOTKEY not
>> defined in environment" . Marius was helpful on the maemo-developer list
>> for tracking the problem down to pinstall. pinstall is clobbering the
>> environment variables LD_PRELOAD and FAKEROOTKEY which are needed by
>> fakeroot.
>>
>> Would someone enlighten me as to what pinstall does, why we use it, and
>> how to fix this?
>>

> pinstall is used to install files, similar to install-sh in other
> projects.
>
> If this analysis is correct, there's something uniquely different about
> fakeroot on Maemo.  I build OpenAFS under fakeroot all the time and have
> never had this problem.

I should have elaborated. I'm cross-compiling using scratchbox for the
maemo platform (ARMEL architecture).

What confuses me is that I built openafs before using this same box, but
now I'm using a different scratchbox target (diablo).

My build box is actually running ubuntu under VMware on a Centos 5 host.

Jason