[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS.org web site design project

Jake Thebault-Spieker summatusmentis@gmail.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:32:20 -0600

------=_Part_37487_1594443.1226611940766

> For UIUC purposes, I've started writing some information here:
> https://wiki.cites.uiuc.edu/wiki/display/~cclausen/OpenAFS<https://wiki.cites.uiuc.edu/wiki/display/%7Ecclausen/OpenAFS>
>
> I will add info about UIUC's situation to that page for comparison
> purposes.
>
> I welcome comments and corrections on the above page.  (I'd prefer to at
> least keep that data where it is as it shows that I am willing to use a
> central campus service, the wiki itself, but I know that some might prefer
> that on the OpenAFS wiki.)
>
> There is currently no real central filesystem at UIUC and this information
> has been sent to director-level people within the CIO's office here.
>
> The current problem isn't pushing OpenAFS technology, its fulfilling the
> same current features of our "netfiles" WebDAV product from Xthyos:
> http://www.cites.illinois.edu/netfiles/  The tickets that can be emailed
> out for access to specific files is very useful for people here and its the
> main feature that I could not trivially duplicate or offer an alternative.
>  Filedrawers http://www.filedrawers.org/ helps meet some of the need, but
> there is no "secret url" type thing that I am aware of. Perhaps that is a
> better feature to add at like the Co-Sign or WebAuth layer though, instead
> of directly in the filesystem.  A "secret url" that provides some form of
> Kerberos tickets could be generally useful for other things as well...

Once you get that done, wanna help convince the U of MN system to move away
from netfiles too? It's rather bothersome :)

> -----
>
> Or was the intent to get useful information onto a new openafs main
> website?

As far as I know that was definitely part of the intent, but it's good to
know that people are documenting their experiences in pushing OpenAFS or
even just getting widespread adoption of something that is already used in
some areas. Part of the new website's goals is to provide information to
people needing to sell OpenAFS to their superiors, any current information
in this area is helpful

--
Jacob Thebault-Spieker
Cell: (320) 288-6412

------=_Part_37487_1594443.1226611940766

I will add info about UIUC&#39;s situation to that page for comparison purposes.<br>
I welcome comments and corrections on the above page. &nbsp;(I&#39;d prefer to at least keep that data where it is as it shows that I am willing to use a central campus service, the wiki itself, but I know that some might prefer that on the OpenAFS wiki.)<br>

There is currently no real central filesystem at UIUC and this information has been sent to director-level people within the CIO&#39;s office here.<br>
The current problem isn&#39;t pushing OpenAFS technology, its fulfilling the same current features of our &quot;netfiles&quot; WebDAV product from Xthyos: <a href="http://www.cites.illinois.edu/netfiles/" target="_blank">http://www.cites.illinois.edu/netfiles/</a> &nbsp;The tickets that can be emailed out for access to specific files is very useful for people here and its the main feature that I could not trivially duplicate or offer an alternative. &nbsp;Filedrawers <a href="http://www.filedrawers.org/" target="_blank">http://www.filedrawers.org/</a> helps meet some of the need, but there is no &quot;secret url&quot; type thing that I am aware of. Perhaps that is a better feature to add at like the Co-Sign or WebAuth layer though, instead of directly in the filesystem. &nbsp;A &quot;secret url&quot; that provides some form of Kerberos tickets could be generally useful for other things as well...</blockquote>
-----<br>
Or was the intent to get useful information onto a new openafs main website?<br><font color="#888888">

------=_Part_37487_1594443.1226611940766--