[OpenAFS-devel] posix chown again

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:17:13 -0400

> Finally, there is an oddity in the current Update_TargetVnodeStatus()
> function.  It seems original intent of the code was to disallow non-admin
> users to set the suid/sgid bits. However the current implementation
> also clears the sticky bit as well.  Is that a code error, or was
> disallowing setting of the sticky bit intentional?

I committed a(n incorrect) patch to not clear the sticky bit, then
removed it. There are still platforms which use the sticky bit on
executables to leave them resident in memory after exit(), despite my
initial research not showing such.

I don't see any harm in allowing users to set the sticky bit, but it's
definitely something we need to all discuss before the behvaior
changes.