sticky bit (was Re: [OpenAFS-devel] posix chown again)

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:44:45 -0400

Derrick Brashear wrote:
>> Finally, there is an oddity in the current Update_TargetVnodeStatus()
>> function.  It seems original intent of the code was to disallow non-admin
>> users to set the suid/sgid bits. However the current implementation
>> also clears the sticky bit as well.  Is that a code error, or was
>> disallowing setting of the sticky bit intentional?
>
> I committed a(n incorrect) patch to not clear the sticky bit, then
> removed it. There are still platforms which use the sticky bit on
> executables to leave them resident in memory after exit(), despite my
> initial research not showing such.
>
> I don't see any harm in allowing users to set the sticky bit, but it's
> definitely something we need to all discuss before the behvaior
> changes.

Is this something that should be build time configurable? I am
hesitant to propose another configure option, but at least that
would preserve compatibility.  I am of the opinion this does not
warrant the use of yet another ACL bit.

Mike --