[OpenAFS-devel] pt_IDListMembers and supergroups

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:53:54 -0400

Currently, when an application like pts(1) wants to determine the list
of groups a user belongs to, it uses the same API, pt_IDListMembers, as
is used to get the lit of users belonging to a group.  The functions
are distinguished by the ptsid of the "group" being negative or
positive.

However, in the presence of supergroups, this breaks badly: although
groups can belong to other groups, there is no interface (at least not
that I can see in ptuser.h) that allows a programmer to find the
supergroups of a given group, short of enumerating all of the groups
and making an exhaustive search.

Are there any plans to fix this?  (And if there are any API changes
required, which seems to be the case, can I request a version of
pt_IDListMembers which returns an idlist instead of a namelist?)

-GAWollman