[OpenAFS-devel] Thinking about 1.6

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:03:04 -0500

--On Wednesday, December 16, 2009 06:04:58 PM +0000 Simon Wilkinson
<sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> *) Remove the --disable-afsdb switch, and associated #ifdefs, so AFSDB
> comes as standard.

As long as we don't remove the ability to turn it off at runtime.  I just
had a conversation today with someone who needs to run a client with a
restricted set of configured cells, and part of the solution is turning off
afsdb support on that client.

> *) Remove the --enable-bos-restricted switch, and associated #ifdefs and
> make this behaviour the default - it's still controllable from the
> command line, and the
> default case is safe.

I'm not convinced this should be the default.

> *) Remove --enable-disconnected switch, and default the code to on. This
> code has had a fair amount of testing, and there are currently no
> performance issues with having it enabled by default. However, there are
> still usability issues with the implementation.

If there are usability issues, why turn it on by default?

> *) Make demand attach the default, but provide --disable-demand-attach-fs
> to allow old-style fileservers to still be built

Uh...  I'm sure the people working on demand-attach would love this, but
doing it requires making a decision that we won't release 1.6 until this
feature is actually stable enough for _everyone_ to use on production
servers, including people who don't know what they're getting themselves
into.  I don't think we're there yet.

-- Jeff