[OpenAFS-devel] Thinking about 1.6

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:25:46 -0800

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
> Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>> *) Remove the --enable-bos-restricted switch, and associated #ifdefs
>> and make this behaviour the default - it's still controllable from the
>> command line, and the default case is safe.

> I'm not convinced this should be the default.

I don't think that bos restricted mode should be the default, but I don't
think that's what Simon is proposing.  I don't see any reason not to
enable the run-time option for restricted mode, without changing the
default setting of that flag.

>> *) Remove --enable-disconnected switch, and default the code to
>> on. This code has had a fair amount of testing, and there are currently
>> no performance issues with having it enabled by default. However, there
>> are still usability issues with the implementation.

> If there are usability issues, why turn it on by default?

Well, I think the theory is that disconnected doesn't do anything if you
don't use it, but it simplifies the code base to not have to maintain the
#ifdef maze to compile out all of the code that is there to support it.