[OpenAFS-devel] compile error on OpenSolaris 2008.11 with 1.4.8

Tom Keiser tkeiser@gmail.com
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:50:57 -0500

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Matt Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looks like this issue is also RT 119118, filed Oct. 3.  I support the
> suggestion.  However, wouldn't the preferred name be "struct afs_conn"?
>
> With regard to the gmake story, I'm suspicious.  I'm told gmake is the

I'm also quite suspicious.  The libafs build system is rather
different from the rest of OpenAFS -- src/libafs/Makefile uses shell
for loops to call down into build-time created subdirectories in order
to build the 32- and 64-bit kernel modules.  My recollection is that
/usr/ccs/bin/make and gmake handle error code propagation from the
shell for loop-invoked submakes differently.  As a result, it's
possible one make variant is silently failing, while the other is
dropping dead in the water immediately.

So, to repeat Matt's question: are you sure it actually built libafs.o
with gmake, or did it just fail to abort on submake failure?

-Tom