[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Compiling kernel module for 2.6.28.1

Chaskiel Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:32:52 -0500 (EST)

>> use. Unfortunately that, and the relicensing of a load of the sunrpc
>> functions to also be GPL only, means that the Linux NFS translator is
>> pretty much dead in the water.
>
> Which reminds me; have we complained at lkml yet?
> ISTR Linus saying that existing interfaces would not be relicensed in this
> fashion.

It seems that this (the sunrpc stuff) isn't about licensing. It's about
"is this an interface" I can't find a discussion thread, but the commit
log says 'The sunrpc server code should not be used by out-of-tree
modules'. Why whoever feels the need to make it explicit I don't know.

As far as d_obtain_alias is concerned, it seems that it is intended for
'Obtain(ing) a dentry for an inode resulting from NFS filehandle
conversion or similar open by handle operations.' Since it was already the
case that non-GPL filesystems had a tough time being exporters, this
isn't a big change.