[OpenAFS-devel] Patch to prepare the client for addition protocols

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:12:26 +0100

On 2 Jul 2009, at 15:59, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> Good point.

The question of stack frames is actually really complex. Whether it's
worth adding additional calling depth (Felix's proposal adds a single
frame, my proposed changes would add one more) in order to simplify
readability and maintainability really depends on a number of factors.
Without knowing how deep the stack is at the point that Fetch/Store
Proc is called, how many variables the callers have allocated on the
stack, and how tight we are for headroom already, we're not going to
know whether this is safe or not.

But I still maintain, from a pure elegance perspective, that
abstraction layers that meander across multiple concepts are untidy.

S.