[OpenAFS-devel] warnings fix

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:05:32 +0100

On 14 Jul 2009, at 22:56, Marcus Watts wrote:

> I promised last week to post a warnings patch.  Apparently I was too
> successful at shaming the gatekeepers, because they've since
> committed a
> lot of warnings fixes to git.

Firstly, it wasn't the gatekeepers. I've been sitting on load of
warning cleanup since around the time of the workshop, as I wanted the
move to git and gerrit to happen before pushing them. In fact, we
discussed that very point during the Workshop, I believe.

Secondly, it wasn't a matter of shaming - the latest round of warning
cleanup is part of an ongoing process that I've been undertaking for
about the last two years.

> That means my patch is already obselete.
> Since there's one of me and many gatekeepers,

As I said, it isn't the gatekeepers - just me, and whenever I get
bored on a train journey. If you're wanting to help cleanup the
warnings please, be my guest. We should just co-ordinate our efforts.

> ____ 5. some notable surprises
>
> openafs.19 also lists 2 more categories that may be of interest,
> "Interesting surprises" and "too complicated to fix here".
>
> Many of the interesting surprises were in the backup logic.
> Apparently
> people who use "cvs head" don't use the afs backup utilities, or
> at least, don't stress it much.
>
> Also of interest were error and debug messages which were broken,
> including at least one which appeared capable of causing "vos copy/
> shadow"
> to core dump in certain circumstances.

If these issues still exist, patches to fix them would be greatly
appreciated!

Cheers,

Simon.