[OpenAFS-devel] warnings fix

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:10:22 -0400

> There was a discussion earlier about why osd was done to 1.4.x instead
> of 1.5.x or cvs head - =A0this is directly related, and I've hit
> the very same issue with rxk5.

Basically it's a question of "are you developing to contribute, or to
run in-progress code in your stable environment", and this is, to me,
about your role in the org that is causing you to write the code.

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0for the =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 for any real users
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0gatekeepers
> cvs head =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0best =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0worst
> 1.5.x =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 2nd best =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0mainly for windows
> 1.4.x =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 worst =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 only acceptable choic=

I disagree. This assumes that other people who want stable code expect
*your* code to be stable for *them*, and want it in their environment.

The general argument actually seems to boil down to, "I want stable to
be stable, with minimal changes, except for my thing", for everyone's
"my thing".

This predictably scales poorly.

> I made an early foray with cvs head and rxk5. =A0I gave up
> because my builds broke so often I spent all my time working
> on those bugs rather than on rxk5. =A0The above change history
> that Russ detailed shows this problem exists today just as much
> with gerrit; so the problem here is not with the technology.

for "just as much" in "makes doing the updates much easier"; have you tried=
 it?

> /1/ remove trailing white space from lines.

push it to gerrit

> /2/ get rid of "register" declarations.

harder, but yes!

> Ideally, also, run everything through "unexpand -a".

subjective. not sure i agree.

> If it would help, I'm willing to write a perl script that
> would do this. ( Actually, I'm probably stuck writing this
> even if nobody else does value it. )

if you write the perl script i volunteer to run and rebase until we
get it pushed.