[OpenAFS-devel] warnings fix

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:58:12 +0200

Russ Allbery wrote (Wed Jul 15 2009 09:46:23 GMT+0200 (CEST))
> Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:
>
>> Tabs are controversial.  I'm not quite sure why - people spent 30 years
>> doing Unix/C on a variety of machines with tabs, with no problems, not
>> to mention an even larger world of dec machines and such.  Then suddenly
>> in the last 10 years, somewhere between microsoft, ibm pc console I/O,
>> java, GUIs, IDEs, and gnu readline, tabs became evil.  In any event,
>> openafs is clearly systems software.  Tabs should not be a problem.
>
> FWIW, http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html matches my opinion on the
> subject, although I know some people like all indentation to be done with
> tabs so that different people can choose how they want them to display in
> their editors.  But mixing tabs and spaces seems like a bad idea to me.
>
> My personal preference would be to convert all tabs to spaces assuming an
> eight-space tab stop, but I'll live with whatever we decide to do.

That approach contradicts the principle of least surprise, though.
Still, any choice will cause pain because different contributors prefer
different editor settings. The one advantage of expanded tabs i can see
atm is that gerrit *will* make it very obvious if and when someone
submits lines containin TAB characters. Right?

Cheers
  - Felix