[OpenAFS-devel] warnings fix

Tom Keiser tkeiser@sinenomine.net
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:30:44 -0400

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Jeffrey
Altman<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> On a separate not, I take great offense at your comment about "shaming"
> the gatekeepers into doing something. =A0Take a look at the analysis of
> who actually has done something to improve OpenAFS
>
> =A0https://www.ohloh.net/p/openafs/contributors
>
> What you will notice is that it is the gatekeepers that do the vast
> majority of the work. =A0That list is measuring authorship not commits.

I find your interpretation of those numbers dangerously distorting.
Firstly, what is meant by "to improve OpenAFS"?  If you're referring
strictly to contributions accepted by the gatekeepers, then fine.
However, I consider that a rather narrow interpretation given the vast
amount of development work that goes on in the hopes that it will
someday be accepted upstream.

Secondly, commit count is hardly a useful metric, as it has only a
slight positive correlation to actual work.  In addition, things would
look quite different if the stats took into account the efforts of
various community members whose major contributions have been going
through the review process for the last several years.  Especially
with the major development efforts, the current fiat-grounded power
structure is biased in favor of contributions by the gatekeepers.
Until a few years after we move to a just and meritocratic decision
model with elected leadership, I don't think such metrics are likely
to yield definitively useful information.

-Tom