[OpenAFS-devel] Change of version control system

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:51:22 +0200

Russ Allbery wrote (Mon Jul 13 2009 17:22:34 GMT+0200 (CEST))
> Hartmut Reuter <reuter@rzg.mpg.de> writes:
>
>> Before doing the commit I did a "git pull" to be sure i am working on
>> the actual source. But there was nothing which had to do with the
>> source files in the patch.
>
> The general rule of thumb with Git with any sort of shared repository is
> to never run git pull, only git pull --rebase.

For the record, please Note
	This is a potentially _dangerous_ mode of operation. It rewrites
history, which does not bode well when you published that history
already. Do not use this option unless you have read git-rebase(1)
carefully. (from the man-page)

My personal take is to rather checkout master and pull, and then later
to rebase my topic branches if and when i see fit to.

Cheers
  - Felix