[OpenAFS-devel] Change of version control system

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:29:16 -0700

Felix Frank <Felix.Frank@Desy.de> writes:

> For the record, please Note
> 	This is a potentially _dangerous_ mode of operation. It rewrites
> history, which does not bode well when you published that history
> already. Do not use this option unless you have read git-rebase(1)
> carefully. (from the man-page)

It's a point well taken.

In the specific case of OpenAFS, you have to rebase anything that you want
to submit back, due in part to how Gerrit works.  I prefer to rebase
up-front so that I know that my tree is in a consistent format for
submitting because of that.

However, if one is publishing one's own repository somewhere, you may or
may not want to rebase that separate repository, and life may get more
complex.