[OpenAFS-devel] RxOSD configure option

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:07:58 +0200

Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> Personally, I'm clean to avoid #ifdefs wherever possible. They
> dramatically complicate the testing process, and mean that packagers
> have to make decisions on behalf of end users. They're appropriate for
> items in the development stream, where people may want to test one piece
> of code, but not another, but I'm strongly opposed to large numbers of
> --enable switches appearing in the production code.

There are certainly unimportant switches around, such as
--enable-bitmap-later, but using object storage requires to move all
volumes to new fileservers. Also it requires a new database instance ...
and additional complexity. So I am quite sure that only a minority of
the cells later will start using it.

> Also, it's vital that it's impossible to shoot yourself in the foot by
> accidentally installing a non-rxosd server on a rxosd machine, or vice
> versa. This means that even if you do end up using configure switches,
> both versions have to equally aware of each other's data to correctly
> preserve it.

The current #ifdefs sometimes have #else branches. So it's guaranteed
that on a partition which has volumes created by an OSD-fileserver a
non-OSD-fileserver would not start. Current OpenAFS fileservers would
start because they don't know about the difference!

H.