[OpenAFS-devel] RFC: Status returned by vos for pre-attached volumes on demand-attach

Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:40:21 -0400

Steven Jenkins wrote:
> While I don't necessarily disagree that the additional information
> would be useful to Windows clients (or cache managers in general),
> that is orthogonal to our request, which, as Ali's mail states, is
> about the vos command, which uses UV_ListOneVolume, and, in turn,
> AFSVolListOneVolume.

Similar arguments apply.  There are third party AFS volume mgmt
tools that have been developed which will be unaware of the meaning
of the new states.  In order to prevent those tools from breaking
new RPCs should be implemented.

In any case, any discussion of new values that are going to be
published on the wire is a discussion for afs3-standardization.

Jeffrey Altman