[OpenAFS-devel] Git/gerrit basics (Windows) 2

Mickey Lane mickeylane33540@gmail.com
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:46:09 -0400

I need a little advice here on what is supposed to work. Sorry for the =
longwinded post but hopefully it'll save us from playing Twenty =
Questions.

Using msysGit:

	git branch -r

	  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
	  origin/disconnected
	  origin/instrumentation
	  origin/master
	  origin/openafs-1_3_82-macos-10_4
	  origin/openafs-devel-1_5_3x
	  origin/openafs-devel-1_5_x
	  origin/openafs-devel-autoconf
	  origin/openafs-prototypes-1_3_x
	  origin/openafs-rx-enhancements
	  origin/openafs-rxkad-krb5
	  origin/openafs-rxkad-krb5-lha
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_0_x
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_1_x
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_2_2x
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_2_9a
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_2_x
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_3_85-linux-oldinode
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_4_0-branch
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_4_10_1-branch
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_4_6-branch
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_4_7pre5+
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_4_9-branch
	  origin/openafs-stable-1_4_x
	  origin/openafs-windows-kdfs-ifs-branch
	  origin/prdb-extensions
	  origin/rxk5
	  origin/rxk5-devel-1_5_57
	  origin/rxk5-devel-1_5_x
	  origin/rxtcp

I checkout origin/openafs-windows-kdfs-ifs-branch, copy everything into =
a 'practice' directory and build the Windows kdfs client OK
I checkout origin/openafs-devel-1_5_x, copy to another 'practice' =
directory and build the Windows SMB client OK
(I know the 'practice' directories are not needed but until I get =
comfortable manipulating my git working directory, it's a small price to =
pay.)

Wanting to fix a small thing, I

	git checkout origin/master
	git checkout -b ms_idn_path_fix origin/openafs-devel-1_5_x
	<edit a file>
	git commit -a
	<edit the log message>
	git log -p origin/openafs-devel-1_5_x..HEAD
	<message & diff look OK>
	git push ssh://gerrit.openafs.org/openafs.git =
HEAD:refs/for/openafs-devel-1_5_x
	<fixed an SSH issue so I think that's OK>
	<get push error: branch openafs-devel-1_5_x not found>

I read in http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/GitDevelopers:
"Note that the openafs-devel-1_5_x branch is now effectively dead - =
future 1.5 releases will occur from the 'master' branch"

Latest exercise is to repeat the above without reference to =
origin/openafs-devel-1_5_x:

1. Start with origin/master
2. Do 'git pull'. No apparent error.
3. Copy everything to yet another 'practice' directory
4. Copy all of my build setup files from the successful =
openafs-devel-1_5_x build
5. Build the Windows client. This fails. The error has to do with =
missing header files (all of them) in =
...\dest\i386_w2k\checked\include\rx

What is the proper git sequence of commands for building the current =
Windows client?

Thanks,
Mickey.