[AFS3-std] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] convergence of RxOSD, Extended Call Backs, Byte Range Locking, etc.

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:40:22 -0400

--On Friday, July 24, 2009 10:31:27 AM -0400 "Matt W. Benjamin"
<matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> Hi Hartmut, Felix,
>
> I see the point, it's not useful if it's only for decoration.  It does
> feel intuitively right to have txid, if it could be used by a family of
> RPCs.  Might make for cleaner interfaces for cancellation, abandonment,
> (not to mention futures--reversibility, delegation, ...)?

Also note that multiple _reads_ can be going on at once, and you want to be
able to track those, too, so you can avoid letting anyone write while
there's a read in progress.

The fileserver simply assumes that anyone who tries to extend or release a
lock is the caller that actually holds the lock, instead of using a
transaction ID.  Let's not make the same mistake here.