[OpenAFS-devel] gerrit: "but someone else must approve"

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:16:57 -0400

--On Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:03:51 PM -0400 "Matt W. Benjamin"
<matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> "I would prefer that you didn't submit this" seems iffy also, as -1 could
> as easily mean, resubmit this.  I.e., it's easy to interpret 'this' as
> the idea underlying some submission, not the changeset.

The language is a little broken, because it's based on a slightly different
model.  That's not bad English for "I would prefer you hadn't submitted
this (to gerrit)"; it's supposed to be saying "I would prefer you didn't
submit this (to the real repository).

Perhaps it would be better if it said something like "I would prefer this
not be integrated in its current form."

However, note that it is perfectly valid to give a -1 to a change that
implements a feature you don't approve of and which was never discussed on
this mailing list.  IMHO, it's reasonable to submit patches directly to
gerrit that fix genuine bugs or eliminate warnings or make the code more
closely comply with OpenAFS's coding style, but new features should be
discussed here first.

-- Jeff