[OpenAFS-devel] Road map, was Proposal for capabilities support in Unix client 1.4.x

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:42:17 -0400

--0016e64652fa7d13df046cf0e126

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Hartmut Reuter <reuter@rzg.mpg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for our site, DESY, and for sites playing with the idea to deploy
> OpenAFS/RxOSD it would be helpful to find a notion about this project in
> the road map.
>
> I understand and accept that OpenAFS/RxOSD will not appear in any 1.4.x
> release because it is too big a change. But I would like to see a
> statement that it will be integrated in 1.6 and I also would like to see
> a time frame for this.
>
> Several sites in the HEP community see OpenAFS/RxOSD (especially with
> addition of the /vicep-access stuff) as an alternative to the presently
> used storage systems which either aren't mountable file systems or are
> accessible only locally. But as long as OpenAFS/RxOSD seems to be only a
> private extension to OpenAFS by our site and DESY they are reluctant
> even to test it.

*if* it is the case that openafs 1.6 is stabilized from "as is" openafs 1.5
(e.g. we just make dafs stable, and potentially remove
disconnected as it's not finished) i'd expect the roadmap would be "rxosd
goes into next unstable, forked from current unstable,
this fall, and becomes the defining feature for the next series of stable
releases". some more analysis needs to be done of how
likely dafs is to be able to be stabilized quickly to ensure that's
credible, but i believe it is.

Derrick

--0016e64652fa7d13df046cf0e126

t Reuter <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:reuter@rzg.mpg.de">reuter@=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
Hi,<br>
for our site, DESY, and for sites playing with the idea to deploy<br>
OpenAFS/RxOSD it would be helpful to find a notion about this project in<br=

the road map.<br>
I understand and accept that OpenAFS/RxOSD will not appear in any 1.4.x<br>
release because it is too big a change. But I would like to see a<br>
statement that it will be integrated in 1.6 and I also would like to see<br=

a time frame for this.<br>
Several sites in the HEP community see OpenAFS/RxOSD (especially with<br>
addition of the /vicep-access stuff) as an alternative to the presently<br>
used storage systems which either aren&#39;t mountable file systems or are<=
br>
accessible only locally. But as long as OpenAFS/RxOSD seems to be only a<br=

private extension to OpenAFS by our site and DESY they are reluctant<br>
even to test it.<br>
om &quot;as is&quot; openafs 1.5 (e.g. we just make dafs stable, and potent=
ially remove<br>disconnected as it&#39;s not finished) i&#39;d expect the r=
oadmap would be &quot;rxosd goes into next unstable, forked from current un=
stable,<br>
this fall, and becomes the defining feature for the next series of stable r=
eleases&quot;. some more analysis needs to be done of how<br>likely dafs is=
 to be able to be stabilized quickly to ensure that&#39;s credible, but i b=
elieve it is.<br>

--0016e64652fa7d13df046cf0e126--