[OpenAFS-devel] Road map, was Proposal for capabilities support in Unix client 1.4.x

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:29:57 +0200

Hi,

for our site, DESY, and for sites playing with the idea to deploy
OpenAFS/RxOSD it would be helpful to find a notion about this project in
the road map.

I understand and accept that OpenAFS/RxOSD will not appear in any 1.4.x
release because it is too big a change. But I would like to see a
statement that it will be integrated in 1.6 and I also would like to see
a time frame for this.

Several sites in the HEP community see OpenAFS/RxOSD (especially with
addition of the /vicep-access stuff) as an alternative to the presently
used storage systems which either aren't mountable file systems or are
accessible only locally. But as long as OpenAFS/RxOSD seems to be only a
private extension to OpenAFS by our site and DESY they are reluctant
even to test it.

Hartmut