[OpenAFS-devel] Some tests and questions about fs setquota

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:36:01 -0400

On Nov 23, 2008, at 4:17 PM, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> I admit that we have had a few cases where exiting users give a
> buddy admin rights on their volume before leaving. We had one case
> where the buddy begged us to recover files from the original user's
> account, but we could not legally do that.
>
> Is there some way to flip a bit and disable all writes on a R/W
> volume? Clobbering the ACL's on the volume would do this, but
> undoing that would not be trivial for users who leave and return.
>
> If we want to allow a negative quota to disable all writes, then I
> propose that we only allow -1. Then again, 1 is almost as effective
> assuming that the volume has a few files in it.

Flip a bit, no. But you can effectively do it with more work:

Back up the volume using vos dump
Remove the volume
Do vos restore using the -readonly switch. The restored volume is
readonly, has the original name, and is parent-less.

Steve