[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS testing

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:18:29 -0400

A small testing update: I just uploaded a regression test for RT
124482 (http://rt.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=124482), which
also contains a very preliminary scaffold for single-bug regression
testing.  While it's not a huge step, I'd like to encourage us to do
two things:

1- where possible, when reporting bugs (and submitting patches),
please include a test and add it to src/tests.  Not all tickets can
have tests written as easily as 124482, but where we can, add tests.
That will make  the gatekeepers lives easier, etc, etc, etc.

2- take a look at src/tests/rt-124482.pl and use & give feedback on
the test_scaffold.  I think the test_scaffold function in this test is
pretty reasonable for testing for a single functional bug; i.e., it is
a low-level function we can use per bug/test which has a precondition,
test, and postcondition, which makes sense for basic behavioral
functional tests, but not for stability, performance or load tests.
That result could then get rolled up into results for Test::More at a
later date.  It could clearly use improvement and feedback -- if a few
of us start using it (and figuring out where it doesn't do what we
need), I'm sure we'll be able to improve it.

Thanks,
--
Steven Jenkins
End Point Corporation