[OpenAFS-devel] Git conversion

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 27 May 2009 14:19:03 +0100

Hi,

As some of you are probably aware, we've been talking for a long time
about moving the OpenAFS source repository away from CVS, to git. I'll
be talking more about this, and about some of the other new tools that
this gives us, at next week's Best Practice's Workshop.

As a taster, I'd like to present an initial git<->cvs conversion. This
is currently a work in progress. Please, do not base development work
on clones from this repository, as it will be regenerated (probably
many times) before the final repository is produced.

The repository can be cloned from: http://openafs-git.stanford.edu/git/openafs-test-20090527.git/
And a gitweb web interface is available at http://openafs-git.stanford.edu/?p=openafs-test-20090527.git;a=summary

Deltas are represented as references within this repository, in the
refs/deltas tree.

What I'm interested in hearing at this point is feedback on the
results of the conversion process, especially from those with git
experience. Is the comment format useful? Could anything better be in
the short log? Does the way that deltas are stored make sense? and so
on.

For those interested in the technical background, a blog post
detailing how this repository was produced is at http://blob.inf.ed.ac.uk/sxw/2009/05/26/converting-openafs-to-git/
  and the tools used to produce the repository are attached to http://rt.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=119102

Let me know what you think - we only have one chance to get this right!

Thanks,

Simon.