[OpenAFS-devel] Git conversion

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 27 May 2009 21:13:00 -0400

Simon Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As some of you are probably aware, we've been talking for a long time
> about moving the OpenAFS source repository away from CVS, to git. I'll
> be talking more about this, and about some of the other new tools that
> this gives us, at next week's Best Practice's Workshop.
>
> As a taster, I'd like to present an initial git<->cvs conversion. This
> is currently a work in progress. Please, do not base development work
> on clones from this repository, as it will be regenerated (probably
> many times) before the final repository is produced.
>
> The repository can be cloned from:
> http://openafs-git.stanford.edu/git/openafs-test-20090527.git/
> And a gitweb web interface is available at
> http://openafs-git.stanford.edu/?p=openafs-test-20090527.git;a=summary
>
> Deltas are represented as references within this repository, in the
> refs/deltas tree.
>
> What I'm interested in hearing at this point is feedback on the
> results of the conversion process, especially from those with git
> experience. Is the comment format useful? Could anything better be in
> the short log? Does the way that deltas are stored make sense? and so on.
>
> For those interested in the technical background, a blog post
> detailing how this repository was produced is at
> http://blob.inf.ed.ac.uk/sxw/2009/05/26/converting-openafs-to-git/ and
> the tools used to produce the repository are attached to
> http://rt.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=119102
>
> Let me know what you think - we only have one chance to get this right!
Hi Simon,

first, thanks for persevering and doing this.

second, the times seem to be off by an hour in many places after I ran
git clone

% cvs log INSTALL

RCS file: /cvs/openafs/INSTALL,v
Working file: INSTALL
head: 1.1
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 2;    selected revisions: 2
----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 2001/07/16 04:34:26;  author: shadow;  state: Exp;
branches:  1.1.2;
DELTA move-readmes-one-level-up-20010716
AUTHOR shadow@dementia.org

move readmes/install into new top level
----------------------------
revision 1.1.2.1
date: 2001/07/16 04:36:12;  author: shadow;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -0
DELTA move-readmes-one-level-up-20010716
AUTHOR shadow@dementia.org

move readmes/install into new top level

$ git log INSTALL
commit 9bfc2adf8d62e0ffc8752280062328ec7e8541d5
Author: Derrick Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
Date:   Mon Jul 16 05:33:53 2001 +0000

jwedgeco@jwedgeco-laptop:~/openafs/openafs-test-git/openafs-test-20090527$
Author: Derrick Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
Date:   Mon Jul 16 05:33:53 2001 +0000

    move-readmes-one-level-up-20010716

    move readmes/install into new top level

The minutes don't quite match up for /INSTALL, which is weird.

Is it correct for the cvs log output to have multiple versions, but git
only shows one version?

Thanks,
Jason