[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Weird interaction between libnss-afs and aklog

Adam Megacz adam@megacz.com
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:42:12 -0800

jpw <jpw@wszib.edu.pl> writes:
>>   3. If you are not using nscd, whether or not using nscd fixes it.

> You were right, installing nscd fixes this. My problem was that I got to
> the testing part a little too soon :-)

Thanks for following up.  I'm out of town right now; when I return
I'll move the nscd warning higher up on the page.

Next week I'll post a new version that simply returns NOT_FOUND if you
use it without nscd; this way instead of segfaulting, aklog should work
-- or perhaps at the very worst it might report "user not found".

The AFS libraries against which libnss-afs links were not meant to be
linked into a process twice (once via libnss-afs and once via aklog),
nor were they designed with threads in mind (although I think I've
mostly compensated for that by adding a mutex).  Making sure that all
libnss-afs calls happen inside nscd avoids a whole lot of messy
issues, so I think the safest thing to do is simply make nscd
mandatory for libnss-afs users.  This should also help with some of
the tricky issues that can cause shutdown to take an unbearably long
time.

  - a