[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Weird interaction between libnss-afs and aklog

jpw jpw@wszib.edu.pl
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:06:36 +0100

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:10:00 -0800, Adam Megacz <adam@megacz.com> wrote:
> Jakub Witkowski <jpw@wszib.edu.pl> writes:
>> I forgot to mention that I have been using Debian 5.0.3 x64 and Openafs
>> 1.4.11+dfsg-5~bpo50+1 taken from the backports.org. I have also tried
>> aklog from 1.5.66, with same results.
>
> Hi Jakub.  In order to help you, we need to know:
>
>   1. EXACTLY what version of libnss-afs you are using
>   2. Whether or not you are using nscd
>   3. If you are not using nscd, whether or not using nscd fixes it.
>
> In general, running libnss-afs without nscd is very strongly
> discouraged.  The libnss-afs web page is pretty clear about this.
>
> I'm actually considering modifying the next version so that it simply
> returns "not found" if it detects that it's running in a process other
> than nscd itself.
>
>   - a

You were right, installing nscd fixes this. My problem was that I got to
the testing part a little too soon :-)

Previously I had some rather nasty experience with nscd on libnss-ldap, so
I was trying to make sure the library works before I tried that.
The misleading part was that everything seemed to work well /except/
aklog.

I am using the git head version of libnss-afs taken from megacz.com; I
also tried the "stable" one as well.

Thanks!

Jakub Witkowski.