[OpenAFS-devel] Splitting out old Linux code

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 02 Oct 2009 07:42:33 -0400

In message <4AC5C353.5020006@ltu.se>,Anders Magnusson writes:
>Hm, wouldn't it be better doing the other way?  Leaving LINUX for 2.4
>and putting newer stuff
>in LINUX26 (and in the future LINUX28 etc...)?

not really.  the better way would be to have a single LINUX tree.
it is annoying to have a fork for essentially what is the same kernel.
while darwin/macosx changed the filesystem significantly from 10.3 to 10.4
we didnt fork the tree there.  but i agree with the others that the linux
code is an ifdef mess (which is partly my fault i imagine).  it doesnt
bother me much, but i did start using syntax highlighting because of it.