[OpenAFS-devel] Gerrit upgrade

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:08:05 +0100

I'm going to be upgrading our gerrit installation to its latest and
greatest version this Friday, at around 09:00 UTC. If all goes well,
it shouldn't be down for long.

We've missed a number of versions of the last few months, but there
are only a small number of user visible changes:

*) Git pull lines will be included in email notifications
*) Only -2 code review votes are copied to replacement patch sets
*) Disconnected ancestries will be rejected when creating changes.
This should make it impossible to push unrelated projects into the
OpenAFS gerrit.

The major change is the introduction of SHA1 changeIDs. These are a
string which is embedded into a change's commit message that allow the
tracking of that change across gerrit. They remove the need for
pushing to an explicit refs/changes/<blah> target. Instead, all
changes can just be pushed at refs/for/master, and gerrit will work
out where to put each patch set.

There's more information available at http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/user-changeid.html
  - once the server upgrade is complete, I'll be updating our local
documentation with details of how to integrate this new feature into
our typical gerrit usage.

Cheers,

Simon.