[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Gerrit upgrade complete

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:23:00 +0000

On 26 Oct 2009, at 15:05, Andrew Deason wrote:

> While I understand the usefulness of having this in commit messages to
> track changes, is there any way we could get the old numbers displayed
> in change listings? (e.g. the 'all open changes' page)
>
> I know what change 717 is, but change
> I6fd5cbb924053446689c576026f9044f78ba71be is a bit harder to remember.
> Seeing only that as the identifier for a change is pretty much useless
> for me.

In general, changes to gerrit should be discussed over on the repo-
discuss list. I don't want OpenAFS to end up maintaining its own fork
of gerrit, so we really need to work with upstream to get changes made
there.

In this case, though, I think Shawn pretty much has a plan to kill off
numerical change IDs. The main reason for this is that when gerrit
moves to git storage, the plan is that it will operate as a
distributed system. Change IDs which are particular to a single server
won't allow that kind of distribution to occur.

S.