[OpenAFS-devel] Query regarding OpenAFS

Robert Harris Robert.Harris@Sun.COM
Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:12:07 +0100

Hi,

I'm about to make some changes in the development release of
Solaris that will in due course be backported to Solaris 10.
I'm trying to ensure that I won't break any unbundled file
systems.

The change I'm making is two-fold: an addition to vfs_impl_t and
a change to the behaviour of vfs_add/vfs_list_add. In the latter
case, I will be forcibly allocating a vfs_impl_t to any vfs_t that
has a NULL vfs_implp.

Well-behaved file systems are passed by the generic kernel code
a vfs_t which they might modify in some way. Such file systems
will be unaffected.

Naughty file systems might allocate their own vfs_t and then
insert it into the global list, probably through an existing
interface such as vfs_add() or vfs_list_add(). Such file
systems might be a problem depending on how they initialise
vfs_implp and how they insert the vfs_t into the global list.

I'm therefore keen to learn whether OpenAFS allocates its own
vfs_t and, if so, what it then does with it.

Regards,

Robert