[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS Master Repository branch, master, updated. openafs-devel-1_5_65-15-ge5cf14b

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 05:47:09 -0400

--001485f772a2000c880475553bef

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 16:50:35 -0700
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > I've been playing with the idea of proposing we use C TAP Harness,
> > which has the nice property of using the same protocol as Perl's test
> > suite.
> >
> >     http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/c-tap-harness/<http://www.eyrie.org/%7Eeagle/software/c-tap-harness/>
> >
> > The hard part is to find a way to do testing on both UNIX and
> > Windows, and I'm not sure C TAP Harness will get us there.
>
> So far I've been using Perl and its testing classes, so +1 for TAP at
> least. :)
>
> The 'framework' is more than that, though. In particular, how we
> configure what we're testing and how we set up the infrastructure are
> areas I think we could most stand to improve. Running the tests in the
> simple 'make check'-style process as part of a build or something is one
> thing, but I'd like to be able to easily point it at a particular
> existing cell, server, volume, etc and say "go test that".
>
> I've got a vague notion of some system of dependencies where it uses
> existing pieces of a cell, and creates that which doesn't already
> exist... but it's, uh, vague.

src/tests was built with that idea in mind, but never got there.

--
Derrick

--001485f772a2000c880475553bef

Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomine.net">adea=
e" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt =
0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Russ Allbery &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rra@stanford.edu">rra@stanford.edu</a>&g=
t; wrote:<br>
&gt; I&#39;ve been playing with the idea of proposing we use C TAP Harness,=
&gt; which has the nice property of using the same protocol as Perl&#39;s t=
est<br>
&gt; suite.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 <a href=3D"http://www.eyrie.org/%7Eeagle/software/c-tap-harnes=
s/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/c-tap-harness/</=
a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The hard part is to find a way to do testing on both UNIX and<br>
&gt; Windows, and I&#39;m not sure C TAP Harness will get us there.<br>
P at<br>
least. :)<br>
The &#39;framework&#39; is more than that, though. In particular, how we<br=

configure what we&#39;re testing and how we set up the infrastructure are<b=
r>
areas I think we could most stand to improve. Running the tests in the<br>
simple &#39;make check&#39;-style process as part of a build or something i=
s one<br>
thing, but I&#39;d like to be able to easily point it at a particular<br>
existing cell, server, volume, etc and say &quot;go test that&quot;.<br>
I&#39;ve got a vague notion of some system of dependencies where it uses<br=

existing pieces of a cell, and creates that which doesn&#39;t already<br>
exist... but it&#39;s, uh, vague.<br>

--001485f772a2000c880475553bef--