[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS Master Repository branch, master, updated. BP--openafs-stable-1_6_x-32-g2ea508e

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:44:22 -0400

<<On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 23:03:48 -0400 (EDT), Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> said:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>> if this is FreeBSD HEAD making it harder for us to hook the syscall table or
>> an afsd regression or me doing something stupid).

> Turns out that it was them making it harder for us to hook the syscall
> table; my machine is back up.

There is only one supported way for a loadable module to install a
system call; any other attempt at "hooking" is wrong and should not be
attempted -- it is nearly guaranteed that you will not get the
protocol correct.

(Has anyone actually implemented PAGs for FreeBSD yet?  It's pretty
obvious how they should be implemented -- as a pseudo-MAC policy --
but I haven't followed the development sufficiently closely.  I'm
concerned that some of this "hooking" might be trying to install
old-style getgroups/setgroups wrappers, which is definitely in
Deserves To Lose territory.)

-GAWollman