[OpenAFS-devel] hudson success (i.e. automatically building)

omalleys@msu.edu omalleys@msu.edu
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:01:01 -0400

Quoting Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First, I'd like to apologize for posting broken URL's into gerrit,
> but on a good note, I have the hudson continuous integration server
> <http://hudson-ci.org/> working!

Awesome news!

Can we get it integrated with the test suite? :)

> 3. This is running in a VirtualBox VM on my personal laptop.

This is good work. :)

I'm not trying criticize, nitpick or start a war, but as a suggestion
it -might- be better to use kvm (or xen) in this instance, since you
can take advantage of the speed paravirtualization can offer you on
some of the x86 platforms. I may incorrectly be assuming you are using
linux as the host os thus not a huge jump.

I have had pretty good luck with kvm/qemu compiling and testing with
linux 32/64, solaris x86 32/64, arm/32 and running windows XP/32 (esp
with the network drivers from www.linux-kvm.com) with Fedora on
32/64-bit hardware(on 32-bit hardware the 64 bit os's predictably are
just slow.) I have also had pretty good success moving the images from
32 to 64 bit hardware and back. I haven't tried the sparc support yet.

You can throw this suggestion out the window if you are using windows
as the host os. :) (If you can get it to run (I have never tried.),
you aren't going to gain anything.)