[OpenAFS-devel] hudson success (i.e. automatically building)

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:25:06 -0400

omalleys@msu.edu wrote:
> Quoting Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> First, I'd like to apologize for posting broken URL's into gerrit,
>> but on a good note, I have the hudson continuous integration server
>> <http://hudson-ci.org/> working!
>
> Awesome news!
>
> Can we get it integrated with the test suite? :)
>

>> 3. This is running in a VirtualBox VM on my personal laptop.
>
> This is good work. :)
>
> I'm not trying criticize, nitpick or start a war, but as a suggestion
> it -might- be better to use kvm (or xen) in this instance, since you
> can take advantage of the speed paravirtualization can offer you on
> some of the x86 platforms. I may incorrectly be assuming you are using
> linux as the host os thus not a huge jump.
>
> I have had pretty good luck with kvm/qemu compiling and testing with
> linux 32/64, solaris x86 32/64, arm/32 and running windows XP/32 (esp
> with the network drivers from www.linux-kvm.com) with Fedora on
> 32/64-bit hardware(on 32-bit hardware the 64 bit os's predictably are
> just slow.) I have also had pretty good success moving the images from
> 32 to 64 bit hardware and back. I haven't tried the sparc support yet.
>
> You can throw this suggestion out the window if you are using windows
> as the host os. :) (If you can get it to run (I have never tried.),
> you aren't going to gain anything.)
Thanks,

I tried to use KVM and Xen first, but I can't use KVM, because my
laptop's CPU is a Core2 Duo E* line without VT-X.  Xen Dom0 fails
miserably on Ubuntu Lucid and other recent Linux distros, and I need a
recent distro for hardware support. I tried compiling a custom dom0
kernel for xen, but failed and went back to the stock Ubuntu kernels. I
have an older laptop with VT-X, but I didn't want to set up it up as a
server and use a cord because of the flaky wireless.

Apparently, I can't run a 64bit guest under vbox, whihc is why it's i386, :(

Sincerely,
Jason