[OpenAFS-devel] hudson success (i.e. automatically building)

omalleys@msu.edu omalleys@msu.edu
Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:11:42 -0400

Quoting Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>:

> I tried to use KVM and Xen first, but I can't use KVM, because my
> laptop's CPU is a Core2 Duo E* line without VT-X.  Xen Dom0 fails
> miserably on Ubuntu Lucid and other recent Linux distros, and I need a
> recent distro for hardware support. I tried compiling a custom dom0
> kernel for xen, but failed and went back to the stock Ubuntu kernels. I
> have an older laptop with VT-X, but I didn't want to set up it up as a
> server and use a cord because of the flaky wireless.

I understand completely. It sucks, I have done the saem thing twice. lol
They actually released a firmware upgrade for my laptop that enabled
the extensions.

> Apparently, I can't run a 64bit guest under vbox, whihc is why it's i386, :(

You can use Qemu with a 64-bit guest on 32-bit hardware but it is
slow. Given what you are doing, you are best to get the configurations
set and most of the debugging out of the way then set up the 64-bit
machine once you know exactly what you need. Then when you are
finished with the configuration aspect move it to a 64-bit vt enabled
machine.

IIRC I believe I just modified the libvirt config file to launch the
qemu-kvm after I had was able to enable the vt extensions. I don't
recall much more trickery then that. (that doesn't mean there wasn't
any. I was just more concerned with running solaris at the time since
i needed a dev environment for work and it was failing miserably
because I didnt allocate enough memory for it.)