[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:36:13 +0100

On 17 Jun 2010, at 21:29, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> writes:
>=20
>> I thought that enabling DAFS to be on by default was the major =
feature
>> of 1.6.
>=20
> Shipping DAFS and declaring it supported is the major feature of 1.6.
> Making it the default is another question entirely.

The difficulty here is - what should packagers build? If DAFS isn't on =
by default, then most folk won't actually get the benefit of running it =
unless they build their own AFS servers. I suspect that shipping 1.6 =
with dafs disabled by default isn't actually going to result in much =
perceived change over 1.4.

I wonder how hard it would be to ship both versions of the fileserver =
side by side ...

Cheers,

Simon.